The development of communications in this region has favored cultural and educational interchange, as well as political and economical life. Although in 1961 the farthest spots in the mountains of the zone received the so called "alphabetizers", who combated illiteracy and planted the seed of eagerness for new knowledge among the inhabitants of the region, it was not until the completion of the road of La Farola, linking the city of Guantánamo with the previously isolated Baracoa, that all the people from the region had access to culture.
After that, many other roads that allow access to this province have been built. Now Baracoa can widely display its fortified system that used to defend the city from the attack of pirates and privateers, and among them the fort Matachín, which houses the Museo Municipal.
There we find also the parochial church where they treasure the Cruz de la Parra, a cross that constitutes the first Christian symbol found in the island.
The Duaba Obelisk, erected at the place where lieutenant general of the Liberation Army Antonio Maceo disembarked in 1895.